Patong Beach, Phuket is not just known for its sandy beaches and incredible villas. This area is also renowned for its incredible seafood. As a popular holiday and beach destination for travellers and locals alike, Patong Beach restaurants have a very tall order to live up to: serve up the best seafood.
And while there are scores of spots that have risen to the challenge, somehow, it's these five restaurants that, year after year, take home the unofficial prize for the most outstanding seafood restaurants on Patong Beach.
1) Sea HagThe atmosphere of Sea Hag is memorable and eclectic. Maybe this is why diners usually stay for more than an hour, relaxing and conversing with each other over crisp Chilean and Australian wines.
Get started with the steamed lemon fish with rice or the massive tiger prawns that come with a variety of dipping sauces. You can also opt for entrees like Fresh Prawn in a Clay Pot with Glass Noodles, mouth-watering Yellow Crab Curry and Seafood Platter. Even if seafood is not your 'thing', come for the ambience and you'll be rewarded with a variety of Chicken, Beef and Pork Satay starters.
2) Sole MioWalk to the end of Patong Beach and you'll be rewarded with the outdoor beauty of Sole Mio. It disguises itself and stays hidden as a sleepy, casual beachfront cafe. Known as the 'Barefoot Beach Shack', you can claim an entire table to yourself and overlook the beach, enjoying your fresh seafood dishes with the sea breeze.
There are more than 70 choices of international, Thai and vegetarian dishes to choose from including Yellow Crab Curry, Whole Grilled Fish and Tiger Prawns Wrapped in Crunchy Fried Noodles with light but flavourful dipping sauces. Interestingly enough, though, it's the cocktails here that are truly authentic and will keep you easily occupied for hours.
3) Kaab GluayThis is where you go when you want to relax, unwind, and eat authentic Thai seafood in an unfussy atmosphere. The focus is only on food here at Kaab Gluay. From your first delectable bite of tender, seared fish in green curry and tangy but crunchy Coconut Shrimp, you'll be grateful that's the case. Kaab Gluay is like that well-kept secret, the hole-in-the-wall restaurant you've been looking for on Patong Beach.
Generous portion sizes and wallet-friendly prices are the norm here. Expect a busy lunch crowd and a dinnertime rush, regardless of which day you come. Pair the Salted Egg Yolk Squid with the steaming, spicy Tom Yum Goong and your taste buds will be sent through the roof! Restaurant favourites include Crab Curry with Rice Vermicelli, Stir-Fried Fish in Sweet-and-Sour Sauce, Baked Mussels and King Prawns in Tamarind Sauce.
4) The Crab HouseDon't go to the aptly named Crab House and expect chicken — here, fresh mud crabs are the order of the day, every day. And, in every variety you can think of. Fresh broiled, steamed, served in curries, stir-fried with thick sauces and covered in delightfully flaky batter, deep-fried to perfection. It's a crab's world and we're just eating our way through it at The Crab House.
5) Pan Yaah RestaurantOne look at the moody, dark wood interiors, the incredibly romantic views of Patong Bay and a satisfying encounter with possibly the best seafood you'll experience on Patong Beach, and you'll be saying 'Yeah!' to Pan Yaah over and over again.
The classic Pan Yaah menu includes fresh seafood catches, dreamed up into the most delectable dishes that include simple mussels steamed to perfect and smeared in butter, local specialities like Fish Baked in a Clay Pot and served with rice, as well as a soft-yet-crunchy Rice Vermicelli and Prawn Casserole.
By no means is this an exhaustive list — but it's certainly a list of the five best seafood restaurants on Patong Beach that will whet your appetite and inspire you to go on your own adventure, sniffing out hidden eats and local gems yourself. Pick a long-term rental on Patong Beach from Rental For the Holidays and enjoy the seafood of the area daily.